Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Diary of a Compost Pile - April 16

Today's post is another in the continuing series of diary entries by guest author Fertilemyrtle Rottenpile, the compost pile built during my Basic Compost Workshop. --- Eric

Dear Diary,

It's FR again.

Well, I seem to have reached the limits of my hotness. My temp today was about the same 145 degrees as yesterday.


I'm still pretty freakin' hot, but I always dreamed I would be more than this. Can this really be all there is? I'm wondering too if I've started to sag a little bit. After Eric topped me off on the 13th, I filled the bin to just a couple inches from the top, and now I must be at least 6 inches down from the top. What is happening to me?

Eric barely paid any attention to me at all --- just came in to check the thermometer and left.

-- FR

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never knew composting could be so exciting. Thanks for the daily updates. :) - Ralph Dias

Anonymous said...

Make sure that you don't neglect FR just because the peak temperature has been reached. :-)

Devin

Eric Renger said...

Ralph, there is nothing more exciting than a hot, hot pile!

Devin, this pile semmed pretty full of itself when it was on the way up. Now that it has reached it's peak, it needs to reflect on what kind of pile it has been and think about what kind of pile it is going to be going forward. I'd say the ball is in the FR's court.

Eric